What are custom CNC machining parts? In this guide we shall learn 9 basic steps to make OEM CNC machining Parts.
9 Custom CNC Machining Parts Facts You Need to Know in 2021
CNC machining planning is an important procedure that guides CNC precision machining services of manufacturing. It has a great effect on ensuring the quality of machined parts and meeting the requirements specified in the design drawings. At the same time, it can improve efficiency and reduce costs based on ensuring processing quality.
The main steps of custom parts CNC machining are:
- Analyze the drawing of the custom CNC machining parts and the assembly drawing of the product to understand the purpose, performance, and working conditions of the product, and clarify the position, function, and technical requirements of the machining part in the product, which is the basis of CNC machining.
- Process review
Process review is related to the accuracy and quality of subsequent product processing. It is necessary to review the dimensions, part views and technical integrity on the drawings to analyze whether the technical requirements are scientific, reasonable, and appropriate.
3. Determine the raw material and the process for rough machining
The basis for determining the material used for custom CNC machining parts is mainly up to the role of the part in the product, the structural characteristics and dimensions of the part itself, the process characteristics of the part material, and the production quantity of the part.
Commonly used materials for custom CNC machining parts are cast metal, forged metal, stamped metal, metal profiles, and more.
4. Plan the CNC machining process route
It mainly includes: selecting the positioning datum, determining the processing method, arranging the processing sequence, and arranging the heat treatment, inspection, and other procedures, etc.
5. Determine the machine tools and process equipment required for each process
Process equipment includes fixtures, knives, measuring tools, and auxiliary tools. To ensure the machining quality of the parts, production of parts must be scheduled wisely.
It’s recommendable to use standard machining equipment and making full use of existing conditions to reduce production preparation costs. For the parts which require special machine tools or equipment that must be modified or redesigned, a design analysis should be done both on cost and feasibility.
6. Determine the allowance of each CNC machining process, and calculate the size to cut and tolerance of each process.
7. Determine the material removal amount
Here are the benefits of determining the material removal amount ahead:
- To ensure the custom CNC machining parts accuracy and surface smoothness of the parts
- To maximize cutting performance of the tool
- To ensure reasonable tool durability
- To maximize the performance of the machine tool
- To maximize productivity and reduce costs.
8. Determine the working hours quota for each process
According to the production facilities of the enterprise, a reasonable level that can be reached and approached by most employees through hard work is established.
9. Self-inspection in processing
The self-check should be carried out in time after the rough machining and each process involved in the entire CNC precision machining services so that the errors can be corrected in time. The content of the self-inspection is mainly the position and dimensions of the processing part, such as:
(1) Whether there is any looseness during the processing of mechanical parts;
(2) Whether the machining process of the parts is correct to touch the starting point;
(3) Whether the dimension from the machining position of CNC parts to the reference edge (reference point) meets the requirements of the drawing;
(4) The dimensions between each CNC machined position, and the dimensions of the machined area itself(except for the arc).
After the rough machining, it will go for refined machining for higher precision. The dimensions of the rough machined parts must be carefully checked before further processing.
The inspection must be done to the workpiece once it is made, and have the sample workpiece confirmed by the customers before moving forward to the big batch.